Hey there, it’s Beer Soaked Erik and I have posted way more on Instagram than here on the blog or Facebook, I’m not apologizing, just saying that micro-blogging with photos on Instagram has been my way of staying in touch with folks in the beer world lately. You can see some of my recent posts in the sidebar on BeerSoaked.com, and if you follow me on Twitter then you’ve probably seen the shift from traditional long form posts to much shorter photo based beer commentary. But having said that, there’s still a place for blog posts.
Here we are in the sixth year of BeerSoaked.com. It’s hard to believe that 6 years ago this site was just a drunken thought with Beer Soaked Scott and Kevin at an IPA tasting event at Hi-Time Wine and now it’s a reality. We’ve been documenting our discovery and appreciation for craft beer for 6 years now. Six years! Wow, time flies when you’re having craft beer. So I just popped the cap on a 2011 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot from the Beer Soaked Fridge and made a few top 6 lists to celebrate our sixth Beer Soaked year. Cheers, and thanks for reading!
Beer Soaked Erik’s Top 6 lists…
What 6 things have I learned in the past 6 years?
- Sour beers can actually be a good thing
- Anyone can make an IPA, but not everyone makes a good IPA
- Barrel-aged beers condition very well in the cellar
- Nothing is better than an unexpected box of beer mail
- Always ask if your bottle shop has anything in the back
- Bottle shares with fellow beer geeks is a great excuse for a get-together
Who are my top 6 California craft breweries?
- Firestone Walker
- Stone Brewing Company
- Ballast Point
- El Segundo Brewing
- Russian River Brewing
- Beachwood Brewing
Where are my top 6 OC growler fills?
- 4 Sons Brewing – Huntington Beach
- Beach City Brewery – Huntington Beach
- Bootleggers Brewery – Fullerton
- Karl Strauss – Costa Mesa
- Noble Ale Works – Anaheim
- Riip Beer Co – Huntington Beach
Which are the top 6 OC bottle shops I frequent?
- Liquor Warehouse – Huntington Beach
- Whole Foods – various locations
- Landmark Liquor – Huntington Beach
- Mr Kegs – Huntington Beach
- Hi-Time Wine – Newport Beach
- Corked Liquor – (formerly Stearns Liquor) Long Beach (technically LA County)
What are my top 6 styles of craft beer?
- Barrel-aged imperial stout
- Double IPA
- Belgian-style Ale
6 random beer facts
- Jelly Belly has a “draft beer” flavored jelly bean
- The first Great American Beer Festival was held in 1982 at the Harvest House Hotel in Boulder. There were 24 breweries, 47 beers and 800 attendees.
- The first craft beer that really got my attention was a bottle of batch 2 of Hair of the Dog “Adam” brewed in 1994. Coincidentally, I recently picked up a bottle of Adam… batch 94.
- Beer is the third most consumed beverage in the world. First is water, second is tea.
- The Simpson’s Duffman first appeared on TV on September 27th, 1997 in and episode called “The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson“
- I joined the 1759 Society back in 2002. I received a polo shirt and a key chain for $17.59. Haven’t heard anything ever since. Only a handful of other suckers who signed up will understand what I’m talking about.
Cheers to #craftbeer